- Welcome to our food blog, where we explore delightful recipes from around the world. Today, we’re going to share with you an authentic South Indian dish that is loved by many. Medu Vada. Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, this savory fritter is a perfect snack or breakfast option. Follow our simple step-by-step guide on how to make Medu Vada at home and indulge in this irresistible treat.
- 1 cup urad dal (split black gram)
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- A handful of curry leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Soaking the Urad Dal:
- Rinse the urad dal under cold water and soak it in water for about 3-4 hours.
- Drain the water completely and transfer the dal to a blender or a food processor.
- Grind it to a smooth paste, adding a little water if required. The batter should be thick and fluffy.
- Preparing the Medu Vada Batter:
- Transfer the ground urad dal paste into a mixing bowl.
- Add chopped green chilies, grated ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves, and salt to the batter.
- Mix everything well until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Shaping the Medu Vada:
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan or a kadhai over medium heat.
- Wet your hands with water to prevent sticking. Take a small portion of the batter and shape it into a ball.
- Flatten the ball slightly and make a hole in the center using your thumb.
- Gently slide the shaped vada into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove the fried vada using a slotted spoon and place them on a kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.
- Serving Suggestions:
- Serve the hot and crispy Medu Vada with coconut chutney, sambar, or tomato chutney.
- Medu Vada also pairs well with a hot cup of filter coffee, making it a classic South Indian breakfast combination.
- Now that you know how to make Medu Vada at home, it’s time to surprise your taste buds with this delicious South Indian dish. Whether you’re a fan of street food or looking to explore new culinary delights, this homemade Medu Vada recipe will satisfy your cravings. Don’t hesitate to experiment with different chutneys and dipping sauces to enhance the flavors. Enjoy this popular and authentic dish in the comfort of your own home. Happy cooking!