A delicious and unique way to enjoy traditional south Indian Magic Roll dosa.
Definitely try making magic roll dosa. In the kitchen, this creative twist on a classic dish is a delicious way to switch things up.
This meal is truly magical, so let’s take a look at how to make it!
For the dosa batter :
- 2 cups of raw rice
- 1/2 cups of urad dal (black lentils)
- 1/2 tsp. of fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
For the filling :
- 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of boiled and mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup of green peas
- 1/2 tsp. of cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. of turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. of red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- To make the dosa batter, soak the raw rice, urad dal, and fenugreek seeds in water for at least 4-5 hours or overnight.
- Use a wet grinder or blender to grind the mixture into a smooth batter. Make the mixture smooth and runny by adding water as needed.
- Add salt to taste and mix well. Ferment the batter for 8-10 hours or overnight.
- To make the filling, heat the vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat.
- For a few seconds, add the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Once the onion is translucent, add it to the pan.
- Chop the tomato and sauté until it becomes soft and mushy.
- Add the boiled and mashed potatoes, green peas, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt to taste. Stir well and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the filling is heated through.
- In a medium non-stick pan, heat the magic roll dosa.
- Place a ladleful of dosa batter on the pan and spread it into a thin circle.
- Fill the magic roll dosa with a spoonful of filling.
- Roll the dosa around the filling with a spatula from both sides.
- Cook the Magic Roll Dosa for another 1-2 minutes or until it becomes crispy and golden brown.
- Repeat the process to make more magic roll dosas.
- Serve hot with your favorited chutney or sambar.
In conclusion, magic roll dosa is a unique and delicious twist on the traditional south Indian dosa. With a flavourful filling wrapped in crispy dosa, it’s sure to satisfy your taste buds. Give this recipe a try and customize the filling to your liking. It’s perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and will surely be a hit at your next meal.
Frequency Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. What is Magic Roll Dosa?
Magic Roll Dosa is a popular variation of the traditional South Indian dosa. It is essentially a stuffed dosa that is rolled up and cut into bite-sized pieces. What makes it special is the variety of flavorful fillings used, ranging from spicy potato masala to tangy chutneys and even paneer or cheese.
2. How is Magic Roll Dosa different from regular Dosa?
The main difference lies in the presentation and the fillings. While regular Dosa is typically served as a thin pancake with chutney and sambar on the side, Magic Roll Dosa is filled with various ingredients and rolled up like a Swiss roll. It offers a burst of flavors with every bite.
3. Can I customize the fillings in Magic Roll Dosa?
Absolutely! Magic Roll Dosa is highly customizable. You can experiment with different fillings according to your taste preferences or dietary restrictions. Some variations include using mixed vegetables, tofu, mushrooms, or even leftover curry as fillings. Let your creativity flow and discover your favorite combinations!